Be a mentor for a young mother!
FamilyWise has experienced an influx of teen girls interested in our mentoring program and we don’t have enough mentors to meet the demand. Because these women need both consistency and stability, we are asking volunteer mentors for a one year commitment to FamilyWise’s Bright Beginnings program . Mentors will meet with mothers twice monthly, with weekly phone calls. In addition, mentors help out with meals and transportation for the monthly chat-group for all mothers in the program. This is a great opportunity to personally connect with a young mother and make a difference! FamilyWise provides all mentor training.
In addition to passing a background check and completing training, all FamilyWise mentors must adhere to the following principles in their conduct with mentees:
– Personal desire and commitment to be involved with another person for a one-year commitment.
– Respect for individuals and for their right to make their own choices in life.
– Ability to empathize with another person’s struggles.
– Ability to see solutions and opportunities as well as barriers.Flexibility and openness.
– FamilyWise is located in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota and mentors would need to live in the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
Bright Beginnings Teen Parenting Services
Bright Beginnings is a teen parenting program focused on giving pregnant or parenting young moms and dads the tools to become the best parents they can be. Through group parent education, life skills training, individual case management and parent coaching, young people are ready to parent their children. Teen mothers can also be matched with a caring volunteer adult mentor who will provide support and resources.